Saturday, January 19, 2013

Teaser 2, Chapter 8, "Lullabies & Eternal Love"


Upon entering the bedroom, I found Bella already lying down, although not asleep as she’d been every other night this week.
 
Instead, she was crying.  Not merely crying, she was sobbing; deep gut-wrenching sobs of grief emanating from her shaking form.
    
Somehow I forced my legs to move, although I could barely feel them as I made my way over to her, trying and failing not to panic.

“Baby, what’s wrong?”  I could hear the frantic edge to my voice as I climbed onto the bed behind her.  “Bella, please talk to me.” I rubbed my hand along her upper arm, trying to soothe as she continued to sob into her pillow.  “Did I do something wrong?”

A muffled ‘no’ sounded in response.

If it wasn’t something I did…

“Bella, please,” I begged.  My heart was beating wildly in my chest as my mind spun out scenario after scenario of what could be wrong.

Did she hurt herself?

Was she in pain?

Was it the baby?

Oh God, were we going to lose the baby?

“Bella, you have to say something, I’m freaking the hell out here.  Are you hurt?”

I probably should have, but I felt no sense of relief when she shook her head.  The fact that she was still crying like her heart was breaking may have been a factor.
 
I gently pulled on her shoulder, nudging her to turn and face me.  I needed to see her eyes.
“Please baby, do you want me to phone the doctor?”

“No, Edward, I’m fine,” She wailed as she turned and looked up at me, blinking her red-rimmed eyes as her sobs slowed.

“Why are you crying?”

She closed her eyes and drew in a shaky breath.  “I don’t want to tell you.”

“Baby I need to know, I’m going crazy.” I was not above begging.

“I can’t,” she said in a pleading tone as the tears started to fall once again, “I’m too embarrassed.”

Embarrassed?

What the…?

“What are you talking about?  Bella, you can tell me anything, baby.  What’s wrong?”

TO BE CONTINUED...  (don't freak out like Edward..she's okay)

No comments:

Post a Comment